Monday, August 3, 2009

August Blooms

I learned a valuable Blogger lesson yesterday morning: don't assume your draft has been auto saved and never use the back button while composing. It's been a whole day since I lost my first blog post so this one won't be quite the same~ my memory is not what it used to be.

I'm not sure I can really remember a summer since I started gardening with as regular rainfall as I've seen this year. I wish I could have known it would be this way earlier in the season. I would have planted more moisture loving plants.

I've never had Brugmansia to bloom before September here- usually they are very late blooming but this noid pink brug is full of blooms now.


In 2007 I bought 4 clumps of unregistered daylilies from Dan Bachman's breeding program. This one is by far my favorite. I love the animated character of the blooms and would love to give it a name but since I'm pretty sure that I didn't get all of the plant it would be best left unnamed. This is the last bloom to open this year:(

This neglected clump of Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm' is showing its appreciation for the rains. It's planted in my front foundation bed and I'm pretty much a backyard gardener so I've been pleasantly surprised at its performance this year.

This is the very first bloom stalk from this Eucomis pole-evansii that I planted in 2006. Not sure if it's "sleep,creep,leap" or the rains that are responsible but I'll take it,lol.

I bought this a couple of weeks ago on the day of the Dave's Garden Roundup and PDN open house~ Crocosmia 'Walrhead'. A funky name for a gorgeous flower;)

I'm sure that I'll never again be without this plant. It reseeds agressively but is a great filler plant so I just try to reign it in occasionally~ Eupatorium coelestinum aka Hardy Ageratum or as I prefer, Wild Ageratum

Hibiscus 'Red Flyer' is still blooming too. I love this plant! The bugs leave it alone and the flowers are huge.

2 comments:

  1. Your flowers are gorgeous. On a note in relation to your Brugmansia, I have noticed some trees with their leaves changing colors already. I think nature is a little confused. Haven't had the nicest summer weather here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The unnamed daylily is gorgeous. I love the ribbony effect.

    ReplyDelete