Thursday, July 30, 2009

What's Happening

I have been trying all season to get some photos of the black Swallowtail butterflies that flutter through the garden. I'm not the best at IDing these but I believe this may be the dark form of the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. I've been very surprised that my Bronze Fennel is still untouched since it's a larval food source for the TSTs which are so plentiful here.

Daylily 'So Lovely' is an older hybrid that is a good late bloomer for me. It and Volcan Fuego are the only two registered daylilies still blooming for me now.

The Dave's Garden Round Up that I attended almost 2 weeks ago was planned around an Open House date for Plant Delights Nursery which is a very reasonable drive from LWG. Lucky for me my DH had given me a gift certificate to PDN for my birthday and I could shop;) This was one of my acquisitions~ Salvia 'California Sunset'. I've had my eye on it for quite a while and hope it will settle right into the garden to stay for awhile.

These are the very first flowers for me from Zephyranthes 'Grandjax', a hybrid rain lily that a fellow DGer shared with me last fall. I just love these little guys who are shaped just like Z. candida.






1 comment:

  1. Actually I think that is an Eastern Black Swallowtail. Randy at Randy and Meg's Garden Paradise is really good at IDing insects. He lives in Rougement, NC.

    ReplyDelete